Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Inspiration comes from strange places

I used to walk home from the bus everyday in grad school. On the way I passed a church (two if I wasn't paying attention and took the wrong stop). This church always had little sayings and such on a sign out front that they changed once or twice a month. The messages were always along the lines of how Jesus wanted you to do this or that or how God was going to be upset because of things humans were doing. Like most things these messages got me to thinking. And the one thought that was always consistent was "If Jesus came back he'd be laughed at, ridiculed, and booed off stage." Here's a man that taught compassion, love, and social revolution in the name of the poor and we've taken those messages and twisted them around so much that I doubt he'd even recognize them anymore. If Jesus came back and actually declared himself and told everyone they were wrong I don't doubt he'd be chased out of town with torches and pitchforks. I got to thinking "what if Jesus actually did come back to Earth?" So I wrote a song about it.


Jesus Came

Jesus came to Earth today
There was no one to save
So he took his sandals off
and climbed back up on his cross

The teacher said "What's done is done
You can't change the past.
If you spend your days in prayer
you'll waste the time you have left"

The preacher said "Trust me my son
and you will find peace
Just bow your head in prayer
and believe in faith"

Now Chelsea's driving with the headlights off
because she wants to know
what it's like to be a lamb of God
and kept in the dark

Sarah's staring out the window pane
at another life
She's so damn sanctified
she can't go outside

'Cause life is hard
and the world is bad
We'd rather talk
than lend a hand
Effort is hard
and we must commit
Instead it's better
to ride this fence

Jesus came to Earth today
I passed him on the street
He moved with a heavy heart
and a limp from the nails in his feet

Jesus came to Earth today
but there was no one to save
So he took his sandals off
and climbed back up on his cross

Jesus smiled as he slowly died
and with his last breath he said
"If you act like Goddamned fools
you deserve what fools get."

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I wonder if Jesus would have climbed back up on that cross if he had found God. I hear He is riding on the bus just trying to make his way home.

Brandon said...

Brilliant!