Friday, September 14, 2007

Bored as hell and I wanna get ill

Writing is hard. I guess if it was easy every douche-bag would be putting bad grammar and terrible analogies in my books. Not that there aren't enough bad ones already and more to come from the thriller and mystery sections at the book store.

I'm just bitchin' because I've spent 3 hours trying to find a chord progression for some lyrics that someone would probably read and then piss themselves laughing at. I can't find the sound I'm looking for (insert Back to the Future joke here). I need a magical box that will let me sing into it and it'll tell me what the hell the note I'm singing is. At least that way I could figure out what the melody is. My ears suck for this kind of work. I'll try another day.

I have a lot of respect for people that can do this professionally. They must spend days looking for the exact word or phrase or rhythm. Me...I'm far too lazy. It doesn't help that every essay I turned in from middle school to college was hailed as a masterpiece by my teachers. It's really hard to get used to having my science writing destroyed every time I think I've covered my bases. I always thought you had to write for yourself. But if you want other people to read it or understand it, you have to put yourself in their position. And that's something I've never been able to do. That's why I'm not a writer. I'm a part-time word jockey with an interest in language and word play. A neophyte in the grand tradition of poorly written tv scripts, news reports with no news, and stilted lyrics about lady humps.

Whatever...it's for me. If everyone else appreciates it, it's a bonus.

I'm off to the place where my homeboys chill.

1 comment:

Kait said...

So when are we collaborating?