Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I also put 'em in a bunch of squirrels. This won't do us any good.

In what is sure to be hailed as a a reversal of standard legislative procedure, both Wisconsin and California have decided to join forces and be the first states to pass legislation to prevent companies from forcing employees to have RFID tags implanted in them. Who wasn't waiting for that alliance?

Let's step back...I'll give you a minute to peruse the story.
RFID Journal
LA Times

Now that you're done reading what passes for journalism, let's ask ourselves something. Did that really need to be legislated? Are we so complacent to employers that it's become acceptable for them to mandate tehnology implants? Apparently so. What I want to know is, who are the two jackasses at CityWatcher.com who thought it would be a good idea to sign on to the program? If I said "Hey, Moses, how about I tattoo a barcode on your wrist...you know, to make it easier for me to verify who you are," what would his response be?

Much like pushing an old man down a flight of stairs, the theory of the law is much better than the practice. Both laws outlaw forced tagging. Neither outright says that this is a bad idea. And neither law provides protection for employees that refuse the tags. The least palatable is the Wisconsin Assembly that wants to explore using these types of tags in "certain classes of criminals, such as sex predators." We'll get to why that's a terrible but wholly accepted thing to do later. Right now, I've got to finish this chapter so i can go to work tomorrow and give it to my boss who will flip through it twice, ask two questions that could be answered by reading it, give one piece of asinine feedback, and promptly forget that I want to graduate in three months.

But at least the legislature was discussing an issue of importance and came to a conclusion that agrees with prevailing public sentiment. Maybe it's the start of a new trend. Sorry there's not an actual analysis of the issue...I'm tired and this crap just infuriates me.

1 comment:

Adam said...

The Angry (Dr.) Scientician strikes again!!!

Can we please talk about this insane idea that we can/should apply vigilante justice via retroactive legislation to anyone who for the moment we find "the worst of the worst"? No, fuck that, I'll write my own piece on it.