Sunday, September 9, 2007

Twofer

Well, today's a two for one special, since tomorrow will be spent with my tv, some NFL action, and leftover pizza. First on tap is a poem I wrote. I don't really know how to explain it, so I'll leave the interpretation to you. Second is a a song I wrote many moons ago, but is still one of my favorites. When I get a microphone that isn't terrible, I'll post the music. Maybe I'll sing it if I really want to make your panties wet.

.......................................................
Any More….Any Less


If I loved you any more I'd be obsessed.

But everything erodes.
Now I'm taken with the idea of you never coming home.
Just keep smiling, like you're special.
Like you got away with something.
It keeps me from noticing your vacant stare.
Vacuous...insipid...inane,
striving to be meaningful.
Convinced you have a righteous cause.
And that you're not selling out by saying so.
Hold fast your new fads, your south atkins diet,
and cry yourself to sleep because you're hungry
and too skinny to be pretty.
Compare yourself to the calendar
and feel bad. Not because you're bad.
But because you're stupid. And you don't care.
If the lightbulb in your head was on as often
as your porch light I wouldn't be so concerned.
We know you're open for business;
you don't need the neon sign in the bedroom window.
Just keep moving,
roving eyes with lack of focus.
The wall, the tv, anywhere but the mirror on the ceiling.
Bury the shame deep, because I can dig for days.
And all I've got is time.

If I loved you any less I'd be a murderer.
........................................................

For What It’s Worth

I know that there’s nothing left of us
except these painful memories.
Her body heat cast shadows on my bed.
Her perfume lingers in the air.

What else do I have to say,
A piece of me has died each day
Since we have gone our separate ways

I would do anything,
just to feel her heartbeat next to mine
We always chose to break before we’d bend.
For what it’s worth, I’ll love you ‘til the end.

I still hear your voice at night
telling me there’s nothing to fear.
My fingers seek your skin for reassurance,
But now you’re just a ghost inside my head.

Now there’s not much more to lose,
life’s been hell since we’ve been through.
All I want to do is make you happy.

I would do anything,
just to feel her heartbeat next to mine
I know that we’ll never meet again.
For what it’s worth, I’ll love you ‘til the end.
.......................................................

No comments: